Saturday, February 20, 2010
Sydney Harbour Bridge and "Golden Grove"
The ferry 'Golden Grove' is one of the First Fleet class vessels. This workhorse does short trips around the Harbour and is named after one of the First Fleet ships that brought convicts and soldiers to Sydney in 1788. When the First Fleet visited Sydney they anchored in Botany Bay - recommended by Captain Cook. The bay offered little shelter so Captain Phillip rowed round to Sydney Harbour and found a much better place. One of the great coincidences in exploration occurred while he was away - two French ships sailed into Botany Bay - frightening the bejasus out of the rest of the fleet. It was La Perouse a famous French explorer, when he left Botany Bay was never seen again.